Hatchet on the Smith Center

The Hatchet has an article today about renovations to the Smith Center, with AD Jack Kvancz saying that a donor is needed before renovations get underway. The reporter talked to myself and Herve at GWhoops.com as well. In general, it's a good article, but I think my quotes need a little explanation.

I think the Smith Center has a great atmosphere, and I think I said that to him. However, I said the arena looks like "a glorified high school gym" because of the white walls behind the basket, which I said was the main thing that should be changed in a renovation. I think they make us look cheap and generic.

And I'm pretty sure that me saying I'd like to see an 8,000-10,000 seat arena was in response to a question like "what would be your ideal situation" or something like that. I'm also pretty sure I said it would be difficult to get a bigger arena because of the Foggy Bottom neighbors and so on. Just wanted to clear that up.

So if there are any donors out there with a few extra million laying around, step up!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice coverage! Please keep lobbying for the white walls at the endzones to be removed.

Check out great shirts, crewnecks, hats and more!

I also run Shirtgood, an awesome shop with designs featuring DC, baseball, the Nationals, funny stuff and more, check it out: Shirtgood. Follow Shirtgood on Facebook and Instagram